Thursday, June 6, 2019

Teaching Artistic Behavior Through the Studio Habits of the Mind

       In the 2018-2019 school year I have started my journey of personalizing learning in art. Teaching for Artistic Behavior (TAB) is a nationally recognized choice-based art education approach for teaching art. In a TAB studio students are regarded as artists and choose what to work on, but I am not ready to give up total control, yet. I did find moving forward through the school year, I am able to release more control and allow more student voice and choice in the artist studio.  Right now, I fall on the "modified choice" continuum where students can choose the content or the media not both.
     
Eight Studio Habits of the Mind

      A big part of teaching students how to be artists in the art studio (classroom) are the studio habits of mind. The studio habits of the mind have form the framework. I started the school year with teaching the students the eight studio habits of the mind: Develop Craft, Envision, Express, Observe, Engage and Persist, Stretch and Explore, Reflect, and Understand Art Worlds.
The students and I started by unpacking the studio habits of mind and trying to understand this new vocabulary in the art room.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Teaching Artistic Behavior Through the Studio Habits of the Mind

       In the 2018-2019 school year I have started my journey of personalizing learning in art. Teaching for Artistic Behavior (TAB) is a na...